Woodburner Family Safety
We can replace your property, but we can’t replace you or your family.
Wood burners are great for ambiance and pocketbooks. There is also greater risk of home fire.
Use these handy reminders to stay on top of maintenance and safety items:
- Frequently check the unit and chimney flues.
- Inspect the chimney from the roof, using a flashlight to look for obstructions or damage.
- Check stovepipes for creosote build-up; have the chimney and stove professionally cleaned as needed.
- Burn only seasoned wood, preferably at least 2 years old.
- Keep children away from the stove to prevent burns or risk of clothing ignition.
- Keep combustible materials away to avoid risk of ignition.
- Maintain a multi-purpose fire extinguisher near the stove; check the date on the extinguisher and keep it up to date.
- Check and maintain smoke detectors.